Dr. Quebbemann’s 5 Tips for Nutrition Success…
1. Eat Chewable Food—Not “Mush”
-Chewing food provides more satisfaction when eating. Eating soft mushy foods that don’t require chewing will decrease your satisfaction after a meal and result in less satiety.
2. Eat 2-3 meals per day and 2-3 snacks per day. (eat 5-6 times/day)
-Eating regularly during the day will maintain a higher metabolism. Skipping meals will also result in fluctuations of your blood sugar and energy level and may cause cravings and headaches. Always eat breakfast!
3. At least three of the meals should be high protein meals.
-Remember, “protein first.” Protein causes more satiety than carbohydrates. When eating smaller portions, following a pattern of starting with protein-based foods (meat, fish, eggs, etc…) will also ensure better nutrition.
4. Drink at least 2 quarts of calorie-free beverage per day, and drink 1 glass (8oz) of water, 30 minutes prior to regular meals. Do not drink during meals.
-Dehydration will often be mistaken as hunger, resulting in a need to eat more. Drinking a thirst-quenching liquid prior to meals will also eliminate the feeling of a need to drink during the meal.
5. Eat good tasting, flavorful food; chew well and eat slowly.
-This is very important. You will be eating slowly and chewing for a longer time, and therefore you need to make sure that you have good tasting food that you enjoy. This is an important part of feeling satisfied after a meal.